Wednesday, February 29, 2012

International Mailing Prohibition - Can I mail these items?

There is a lot of questions in this so please do your best to answer as many as you can!



My cousin's birthday is coming up soon and she recently moved to Bulgaria. For her birthday, I wanted to send her a pair of gloves that my grandfather me. Last time I saw her she really seemed to like the gloves, so I thought it would be nice to give it to her. Also I wanted to send her age in US dollars as cash.



However, when I looked on the USPS website (http://pe.usps.comtext/Immab_031.htm#ep1鈥?/a> I found on the list of Bulgarian Prohibitions for mailing items it included :

'Coins; banknotes; currency notes; securities payable to bearer; traveler鈥檚 cheques; platinum, gold, and silver, whether manufactured or not; precious stones; jewels; or other valuable articles in uninsured parcels.'

Does this mean I cannot send my cousin her age in US dollars?



AND



'Used clothing, footwear, and bed coverings.'

Does this mean I cannot send her the gloves?



Also if I decided to send the package:

Would it be sent to my cousin or would the Bulgarian postal service confiscate the package?

What would happen to the package if it was confiscated?

I am a minor so I would not go to jail, but would me or my parents be responsible for any fines if we were prosecuted?





This gets into the technical side of mailing items:

I had planned on shipping these items, along with a letter in an envelope using USPS First Class International Mail (since it costs the least) but on the same page as listed above it states that 'First-Class Mail International items may not contain dutiable articles.' I have assumed that the gloves and cash would be considered dutiable. Would I still be able to send the items via First Class International Mail if I filled out a PS Form 2976?

Is there another way of mailing the items like using Express Mail International Service instead of First Class Mail International?

Should I send the package and see what happens?

And finally, is there any way I could get around these restrictions?International Mailing Prohibition - Can I mail these items?
Bulgaria will not take any action against you.

It is not a good idea to send cash, it might get stolen if the mail is opened in Bulgaria.

Gifts might be dutiable, if listed, or found by Bulgarian customs officers. Ask the postal employee how to describe a "gift".International Mailing Prohibition - Can I mail these items?
I would go to your local post office and ask them directly. It sounds like you cannot mail them USPS from what you have quoted. To do so, risks a federal violation, if you lie to the postal clerk about what is in the package. Perhaps UPS or Fedex would mail them? Normally I would recommend the USPS, but it sounds like they have regulations against these items? Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment