Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Question regarding VAT and the UK Postal Service?

I sent out a package from east coast US to England on the 28th of July via USPS First Class International. It's now the 7th of August and it still hasn't arrived yet, but I'm still hopeful that it will soon. What I don't understand is this VAT thing. So, if they decide that the contents of my package are over 30 dollars, they're going to send a letter to my girlfriend to have her pay the tax or ... ? I'm more than confident what I sent is worth no more than 20 dollars, but, you know.



Also, I have two other questions:



When I wrote out my customs declaration, I mistakingly made a "G" in the recipient's postal code look like a "6." I'm not sure if on the actual package the "G" looked that much like a "6" .. I like to think I was a bit more careful on the actual package. But, what happens if they think the "G" is a "6?" Will they send it to this nonexistent address or will they realise it's not an actual address? If the second, then what will happen? I googled her address using the mistake postal code, and google maps still directed me to her actual house.



Also, when I filled out my customs declaration, there wasn't enough room on the form to write down every single thing in the package. So, there are things in the package which are not on the slip. Will that cause any sort of issue?



Sorry, another question :x How long should this take? It's going to a town in Nottingham from new york city.Question regarding VAT and the UK Postal Service?
VAT is payable on goods imported to the UK worth over $30, its basically to protect prices in the UK, if you only state the value as $20 then that should be OK, they are only looking for goods that are much cheaper than UK prices, VAT is like a sales or state tax.

No comments:

Post a Comment