Saturday, March 10, 2012

What happen if I put a pre-paid International package into a USPS mailbox instead of giving it to an employee?

I tried Click and Ship (via usps.com online) and printed my postage from home using my printer. I dropped the package in a post office drop box last night. When I got home I noticed the instruction sheet said "International packages my NOT be placed in a USPS collection box. Please present to a retail associate in a U.S. Postal Service retail outlet, hand to your letter carrier at the time of mail delivery or schedule a pickup service online at www.usps.com/pickup." What can I expect to happen? Will my package be returned to me?What happen if I put a pre-paid International package into a USPS mailbox instead of giving it to an employee?
I just had this issue myself. I took my chances and mailed it anyway. I checked the tracking number a few days later and it got scanned into the system, no problem. It might be a bit risky for high-value shipments - since no one is accounting for the package. I suppose there's a chance that a dishonest employee may know this and steal it. Though the post office really checks their people out, plus there are cameras everywhere in their back rooms. I mailed a package worth $149 (which was clearly stated on the Customs Form) and it got into the system okay. As for the package being accounted for: I noticed on the Priority Mail Customs Form there's a section where the date and time the package is received is recorded/written in. Usually the employee you hand the package to fills in this information and initials it.What happen if I put a pre-paid International package into a USPS mailbox instead of giving it to an employee?
They have to scan it and put it in the system even if you've already payed the postage. THis is to ensure it does not get lost and is accounted for

No comments:

Post a Comment